Sunday, January 20, 2008

Poor Week

I'm feeling a bit low at the moment. This week has been very poor training wise, in fact its been a complete non-event. I can't help but feel that its a week thats gone and valuable time that this close to Ironman I can't get back. And thats more than frustrating for me.

To compound matters I've picked up a thigh strain thanks largely (I believe) to a ridiculous team building activity that I had to do for work - which also used up what would have otherwise been training time. I managed to get in a 20k run this week, but was left with a weekend where I couldn't bike or run and due to events conspiring against me, also couldn't get away to go for a swim.

I'm really tired as the work thing I had to do was an overnighter and I got a lously sleep, and as I was bone tired before hand it just made things that much worse, I'm actually quite upset about the whole thing, its really thrown a spanner in the works.

So how did the week go? Well I'm tired, sore, frustrated and in a pretty bad mood. I've had a very poor week training wise, normally the bright light would be that I'd be well recovered, but sadly thats not the case this week.

But trying to be positive I'm replanning next week. I'm going to have to be a bit more selfish with my time, unfortunately there's no way around that as I just have to get the workouts in or else Ironman will be one of the worst days of my life. To help with my leg I'm planning on hitting the pool pretty hard for Monday and Tuesday, hopefully by then I'll have the strain sorted out and can build to next weekends key workout - a half(ish) ironman simulation.

Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Easy for me to say but you're bound to have weeks like this ... and it shouldn't have too bad an effect on your overall 'finished fitness'.

Maybe think of it as an unplanned taper for this half iron simulation coming up. Good luck with that.

I hate work team building things - we have one when I go back to start the year :(

Hope this week works out better for you! :)

Mike

Anonymous said...

HAH - know that feeling! Maybe there's something that starts to happen around this time as the event gets closer and the nerves and frustrations start to surface. There just doesn't feel like there's enough time anymore, and everything is starting to niggle!! Hang in there.

Hope this week is better than last week, and you get to do a good simulation on the weekend.