Sunday, January 13, 2008

Big Ride

Seems to be the day for big rides. I reckon I saw at least 100 other roadies in various bunches out and about today. Plus a scattering of, I presume (based in the TT bikes loaded with up with drink bottles behind the seats in on the frames). And no wonder as it was an absolutely perfect day for a ride. I don’t think there was a breath of wind for the first 110k, and there was hardly a cloud in the sky.

The course I road today took me up Albany Hill (there’s just no avoiding it, although I did notice that there were a bunch of cars with bike rakes – presumably belonging to one of the bunches – parked safely up the top of the hill … weak!), then out into Rodney for a 100k loop. This took me back home where I refilled my bottles and topped up my food before heading back out for a slightly shorter 70k loop.

The first 120k’s went really well, in fact I’d have to say that the first 100k’s was some of the best solo riding of my life. It felt really good and I felt really fresh throughout. The average speed for that initial loop was 29.7kph which isn’t bad given that there’s just no getting away from hilly riding in Rodney, in fact its one of the things that I’m looking forward to in Taupo – a largely flat course for a change.

The second loop was harder. I had some stomach problems from about 120k’s into the ride. I’m not sure if it was my electrolyte drink as I’d run out of my usual powder and had to pick up some Powerade (which isn’t ideal), or if I just wasn’t taking enough water with my gels. Fortunately it settled down however I did have to miss a couple of scheduled feeds. All in all the second (shorter) loop was a bit slower (there were a couple of extra hills and I was starting to feel pretty tired) and the average speed for the whole ride came back to 28.8kph.

The ride itself was 10k’s shorter than I’d planned (must have taken a wrong turn somewhere), but I’ve got to say that I was plenty happy to be done with it. My butt was getting sore, my neck was starting to get sore (I stayed aero for probably 90% of ride, not that you have much choice on my bike) and oddly enough, my wrists were getting sore (stupid big chip seal in the road means loads of vibration shaking its way up the front fork to the handle bars, it starts to add up after a while).

At 160k’s into the ride was the last big climb of the day, it’s a nasty little climb that touches 11% gradient, I find it challenging at the best of times, and I was particularly unhappy today. I used a running trick to get me up. What you do is this:

Pretend you have a big plate of (strangely light) iron attached to your chest and at the top of the climb is a huge magnet which is strong enough to pull you up. The catch is if you think negatively the magnet gets smaller, whereas if you think positively the magnet gets bigger, making it easier!


For those of you who are into stats here’s the numbers:

The total ride time was 5 hours 54 minutes with an average speed of 28.8kph. Mapmyrun estimates calories burnt at approximately 5000. In return I ate the following:

- 2 x One Square Meal Bars (700 calories)
- 6 x Balance Elite Fuel Supply Squeeziepack (gel) (630 calories)
- 1.5 L of Powerade (470 calories)
- 1 x Banana (100 calories)
- 1 Balance Protein Bar – immediately post ride (235 calories)

So 5000 calories out and 2135 calories in. That kind of ratio is probably enough to stop me from bonking on Ironman day, even better if I can get my stomach problems sorted out and keep eating throughout.


Picture of a perfect bike riding day - about 65 k's into the ride.

That’s another thing ticked off the list of things to do before Ironman. The list is starting to get rather short. Only 3 more bi workouts to do, another big ride, a half ironman simulation and a 3.8k swim and then I’m set

2 comments:

Mike said...

Great ride and a great report ... filled with all the stats I need to keep me happy :)

I think both you and Kathy are going to find the Taupo ride 'easy' in comparison to the training rides you are doing! :)

Mike

Bruce said...

Sounds like a great ride Kieran. I cant really comprehend almost 6 hours on a bike , but i bet its up there with a marathon in terms of intensity. Keep it going.