Saturday, October 4, 2008

Feeling Better!

That's right, after two weeks of feeling lousy I'm finally feeling (close) to normal again and today managed to get out for my first run in just on two weeks! Not being able to get out and moving has been driving me nuts ever since I got sick, its amazing how you take good health for granted until its gone.

But now my health is back, the run went really well and I actualy felt pretty good by the end of it, so there's hope yet for a decent half marathon next weekend. Whether or not that will mean a personal best is something that I'll just have to wait and see what the day brings.

So what does one do when your crook and can't run or do pretty much anything for that matter?

You study our upcoming 100k race of course! The course has changed for 2009. Previously it was a point to point run two thirds of the way around Lake Taupo. Now its a two lap out and back. 25k's out, 25k's back done twice to get you your 100k's. It actually looks kind of cruel as 25k's is just enough to see you over a certain Hatepe Hill. This hill has been made famous thanks to New Zealand's largest bike race, the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge, which reguarly attracts upwards of 35,000 people each year. This bike race is a 160k ride around Lake Taupo with Hatepe Hill being the biggest climb of the day right when you're feeling your most tired.

To insert this hill twice into a 100k running race seems kind of mean. Here's an outline of the corse elevation. Hatepe Hill kind of sticks out ...



Also today I went out with the kids and hit some trails that are within running distance from home. I've been meaning to check these trails out for a while, but the weathers been lousy meaning the tracks would have been slush.

We had a great day, we were out for a couple of hours and the kids did really really well. The track basically starts at the top of a hill and heads down (quite steeply). You then cross over a small stream and head up another steep hill. At the top of this hill you get some great views before heading down again. At the bottom you cross another small stream before coming face to face with what is apparently the oldest tree in the Rodney district, a rather large kauri. From here you head up again until you get to the end of the track. Then you turn around and head back.




We took our time and stopped at a couple of places for some well earned tasty treats.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Trail looks great. Always great to do a bit of exploring. Kids look like they're having fun.

That hill looks BIG! You say it's cruel to put it in twice but you've got to go up and over it four times (even crueler!!!)

Thanks for your comment re drink mixture ... I've answered on my blog but copied it here ..

Thanks Kieran ... altho I went Sub6 at Tauranga last time, it wasn't an enjoyable experience because my stomach felt so bad (def manky!) so I want to get it right this time. The 1.5 mixture worked really well yesterday and I may just stick with that but you know me, a chance for another experiment at 2x will not be missed :)

The plan is to have that bottle with the 'food mixture' and take water bottles off the course so I can 'dilute' it at the time of drinking by sipping water straight afterwards but have the convenience of having just one 'feed' bottle. Just a plan at the experiement stage at the mo. 10 weeks to change my mind :)

Good luck with the rest of your half M training/taper.