Monday, September 29, 2008

Hospital + IV Drip = Bad Training Week

The last week has been my worst training week EVER. I went for a run on Sunday a week ago, and felt oddly tired and slow. I just figured that I'd been running a lot for the last week and it was time for some rest days. The next day I developed a slight cough, by Tuesday night I had the start of a high temputure. I woke up on Wednesday feeling aweful and then spent the next few days probably the sickest I've ever been.

All this climaxed with a trip into hospital early Saturday morning and me getting hooked up with an IV Drip delivering 2L of fluid plus some drugs to get my temperture down. I also had a bunch of tests down to determine that I didn't have anything to sinister, which thankfully I don't. Just a well developed case of Man-flu.



So where does this leave my bid for a new half marathon record with the race in less than 2 weeks?

I suspect that if I'm lucky I'll be able to get out for a light run later on this week, form there it will be a cae of assessing how much form I've lost. The plan now is to can going for a personal record and instead use the half marathon simpl as a training run. This will mean training right into the race and not specifically tappering for it.

Its a little disapointing but life throws these curve balls at you from time to time. The test is in how you react to the trials, and making sure you come back stronger for the experience.

4 comments:

gemini said...

Shame that's bad. Hopefully you'll recover soon enough without messing up your plans!

S. Baboo said...

That's terrible you are sick but you may still pull off a great half. The forced taper sometimes works wonders.

Kieran Mischewski said...

"You'll be well rested" is what I keep telling myself. I'm feeling heaps better now, so concentrating on eating well and will aim for an easy workout in a couple of days to see how the legs are doing. Things may well work out for race day yet!

Kingsland Martial Arts said...

All the best for the half Kieran. That man-flu was bad luck but I'm sure you'll do fine. Look forward to reading the race report.