Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sudden High Intensity Training


Sudden High Intensity Training (S.H.I.T.). This is a training system which guarantee's results. Unfortunately the results that you get are not always desirable - injury, reduced performance, fatigue etc. I remember the first time I heard about this type of training. I was sitting in a lecture theater and told in no uncertain terms to never ever prescribe your clients S.H.I.T. training.

Happily this is a lesson that I took to heart. During the same lecture I also got introduce to the more sensible progressive approach to High Intensity Training (progressive H.I.T).



For my Ironman Training, the focus was all about going the distance. This time around I have the fitness base, so the emphasis has shifted a degree and I've been progressively building the intensity.

High Intensity Training (HIT) is good, and very profitable provided you follow a plan and don't over do it. If you load up on to much H.I.T what you're left with is S.H.I.T and nobody wants that.



Now that I've committed to doing another half marathon making sure that I have a good balance of intensity is taking on increased importance. I've got some definite time goals for my half marathon, and for an upcoming full marathon to for that matter. The only way that I'm going to achieve these goals is to ensure that I train at an appropriate intensity. What this means for me is two specific H.I.T runs per week. One in the form of intervals, and one longer run, at a sustained pace slightly above my half marathon pace.

With a bit of luck this will give me the kick I need to achieve my time goal.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Worst acronym ever! However this makes lots of sense!

When is your next half? I see we finished in very similar times in the North Shore City half earlier this year - however your new time goal is raising the bar a lot!

I'm trying to get under 1:35 in around 2 months for the ADRA charity run. Should be a challenge...

Good luck with the training!

Kieran Mischewski said...

Hi Aaron, my next half marathon is the Waitakere Charity Half in three weeks time. It was a bit of an "opportunist" entry for me as I wasn't planning on running another half (apart from training of course) this year. This will be my last chance to actually try and run fast before I concentrate more on the ultramarathon training.

You're right in saying that taking just over eight minutes off my half marathon time is a big ask. I have a tendency to not run as hard as I can during a race and I'm always holding back. I think in the past this has been a case of inexperience. In the North Shore Half this year I was a bit better, but still could have gone a tad faster. My training times now are quicker than they were leading into the North Shore Half and technically ... its possible.

In saying that, Sub 1hr 35min will keep me happy, but if I can get a "2" in there somewhere I'll be super happy!

Good luck with your training for the ADRA, that course should lend itself to a good time!