Sunday, December 9, 2007

Another week down!


Another week down and now my countdown clock tells me that its less than 90 days to go! With December and summer here the training load is finally going to start to build up. To date most of my weeks have maxed out at 10 hours of specific training (I can't really count running around after the kids, running them to the shops / park / grandparents) or biking to the shops / church etc, although I'm sure it all helps!). That's all about to change as somehow I'm going to have to find time to get in around 15 hours of training a week and still put in the time as a father and husband.

I had a little bit of a taste of what things would be like if all I had to organise or be responsile for was myself, earlier on this week as my wife and kids went off to Taupo to spend a couple of days with a very pregnant friend (she's since had her baby by the way). They were away during the week (otherwise I would have gone) and in the space of a couple of days I managed to cram in 6 hours of training after work including one really great swim / bike / run brick session. If left solely to myself I'd be training like a manic all the time - but my life would be very empty and one dimensional.

Yesterdays ride was sensational and signifiantly better than last weekends for several reasons.

a. I'm off my antibiotics so the powers coming back
b. It was hot and sunny - which is exactly how I like it
c. I just generally had a better frame of mind
d. I had my race wheels on! (see picture of deliriously happy looking Kieran)


The ride felt great. There was a strong wind blowing and it was a very hilly course, so it was a real power workout, and I loved it. I have no idea of top or average speeds etc as I'm still trying to work out the best way of getting my bike computer wheel sensor attached to the tri-spokes (it normally clamps onto a wheels spokes), I think duc tape will be the best solution. I normally just motor on without knowing but I think, given that I'll be running after the ride, it would be best to know what I'm dong so I can work to my plan better. Anyway I did an 80k hilly ride in 2 hours 40 min which isn't bad at all.

The Rotorua Half Ironman is now under a week away, its a "C" race for me as its going to be my first actual triathlon and I have a bunch of things I'll be trying out (including a slightly new nutrition strategy - following yesterdays ride I've had to re-think things and don't have ime for a practice run). I'm a little apprehensive about how the run will go as I haven't done a lot of brick workouts due to being to worried about straining my ITB band again, so that part will be interesting (especially given as I'm inclinded to go pretty hard on the bike). I'm really looking forward to it though and it sounds like the course is going to play to my natural strengths. Watch this space for the race report next week.

In the meantime here's some more photo's of a happy rider!



6 comments:

Mike said...

Cool bike! :) ... Good luck with your taper(?) for Rotorua

Kieran Mischewski said...

Thanks Mike, I like it, my wife keeps on reminding me that I need to buy her something equally as nice at some point (although her idea of nice is somewhat smaller and shinnier than mine).

No real taper for me, although I will be taking things a little easier from Thursday onwards and will be eating loads more carbs than usual. Rotorua should be interesting, I have no real benchmark to base myself off at this stage, so I guess its wait and see ...

Mike said...

yeah that's normally my wife's bargaining power ... just don't see the appeal of jewelery :)

I have zero chance of getting a cool bike like that for along long time :(

btw .... you picked up on my unsupported Ironman idea (could be good option for your 2nd ironman) ... check out www.140dot6.com

Anonymous said...

Boy that bike looks fast! Looking forward to catching up with you on the weekend.

Kieran Mischewski said...

Only as fast as the person pushing the pedals - I guess we'll see soon enough

EmmaHunterNZIronman2008 said...

Looking good! I need to post some photos of my sexy bike too!