Sunday, March 22, 2009

Shore 2 Shore

Today I ran the best race of my life, not so much in terms of speed (51 min 42 sec of a 5k is probably a tad slower than I could possibly push for), but definitely in terms of quality.

Today was the annual Shore 2 Shore fun run which is a fundraiser for local schools. You enter through the school that your kids go to with a large portion of the entry fee going straight back to the school in the form of new sports gear! An absolutely fantastic idea! This year there were just over 6,500 people doing the race making it second only to the Auckland Marathon in terms of single event participation.

I did the race with my five year old son Sam. We'd been training for it over the last few weeks by slowly building the distance up, however today was still going to be the farthest that he'd ever run.

Sam did great! He managed to run most of the race, although perhaps he went out a little to quick at the start (1st race nerves - we've all been there!). Sam was very stoked at the 2.5k drink station where he was able to pick up his cup while running like a pro, a couple of mouthfuls and the rest dumped on his head to help him cool off.

My wife and my daughter Eve were at the finish shoot cheering us on, Sam was very focused but remembered to raise his arms in glory as he crossed the finish line (m wife got a photo of the but unfortunately someone just got in the way - however the guy with the mic noticed and made of point of pointing Sam out, you can kind of see it in one of the pictures.

It was a great day and Sam is already asking when the next race will be! Enough words from me, here's the pictures ...







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool - well done to Sam (and Dad too of course).

We watched 2200 kids do the Weetbix Tryathlon yesterday, either in teams or as individuals, and I have to say, that seeing kids out there doing this stuff is the best! The fact that you could do it together is even better!

Mike said...

Great pictures. Looks like a cool event! :)

Mike said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your donation ... your donation brings me up to a total of ..... dun, dun, dun .... $10!!!
You are my only sponsor and the event is Saturday :(

I helped with a couple of sausage sizzles and we made over $200 so that counts eh?

Thanks again!

Mike

Bruce said...

Great effort from Sam there, a future endurance athlete perhaps.

Aaron said...

That's very cool indeed. Well done Sam (and his dad of course!)

My son is 4 and I'd like to do something like that with him in a year or so.