Thursday, February 21, 2008

One Week to go!

Well eight days actually.

Just a quick update, so far this week has not seen a lot of training but has seen a lot of preperation in other respects. To be honest there now is very little I can do to make myself physically better equipped to deal with race day, so training is, finally, taking a back seat. In its place I've been busy making sure that the gear is going to be all ready and in tip top shape for the big day. The one thing that I really don't want to have to deal with, and that is quite preventable, is gear failure, or having equipment that is not working at its best.

The one peice of equipment that is perhaps more important than any other, and which has the greatest scope for failure is, of course, the bike. My bike is not new, and stuff does wear out, so getting it in for a service has been a top priority and I finally did that this week. As it turned out there was a fair bit of tightening and twecking to be down, plus a new chain to actually drive the thing along. My chain was very worn, which wasn't a surprise, and the thought of it snapping has been a reoccouring nightmare of mine. So that was happily replaced and now my ride is quitely gliding along again, silky smooth ...

I've also got the bike and helmet check out of the way by having this done at a local accredited shop, so that's one less thing to worry about on race week.

Also it looks like the long awaited book is taking shape. For those of you who may not be aware contributing to a book about Ironman is my part of the sponsorship deal which propelled me to do this whole Ironman thing in the first place, or at least it propelled me to do it this year and not next year (and of course next year, like tomorrow, never really come around). Anyway have a look at the book details (thats me on the bike by the way)

No comments: