Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Last "pre race" blog

Yep that's right, the next time you see I new post I will officially be an "Ironman". The family and I are heading down to Taupo tomorrow afternoon to get all set for the big day. So I'll be spending tomorrow morning packing, unpacking, repacking, checking and rechecking (you get the idea).

I think at this point the thing I'm most nervious about is not fitting everything in the car. That's a bit of an improvement on how I was feeling last week and is largely thanks to a sensational final ride I had on Sunday. It was raining and windy and I spend the first 20 minutes of it sitting on the indoor trainer watching the rain drops fall before toughening up and heading outside. In the end I had one of the best rides I've had for ages. It was 70k's and I averaged 35kph without feel particuarly challenged (I suspect the wind was working for me for a change).

Although I wasn't to keen to head out in the rain, it now looks as though that may have been the best thing. I've just seen the long range weather forcast and its for rain in Taupo (and pretty much everywhere else) on race day. Which is a bit rough when you consider that there's been a bit of a drought lately, still I guess the farmers will be happy.

My preference is for ot and sunny, and I don't normally perform all that well when its cold and wet, but on last Sundays effort it would appear that warm and wet suits me just fine.

So I reckon I'm ready, just need to figure a way to squeeze everything into the car (including a wheel chair which is causing me some logistic problems, but I'll work it out!).

3 comments:

Bruce said...

Good luck, look forward to reading about your 'Taupo adventure'.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kieran,
on the lookout for NZ Ironman, I found your blog, and it was so interesting to read this report. First, I read only the last entry, then more and more. You write so interesting and gripping on your way to Ironman and I couldn't stop to read it. It is such a humorous and encouraging story and really, if you want to change your work, you should be a writer. I have the whole story on my computer copied (50 pages!), then I read all this at night and I had a lot of fun. It was more than just an English-lesson for me (learning English is my marathon, sorry for the mistakes). If you really want something, you can achieve it. You certainly can do it and you have a good company and a beautiful place for training. I like Whangaparaoa. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I look forward to read the last chapter of your story.
Greetings from Germany, Heike

Anonymous said...

Hi Keiran,

Hannah Jairam from Gisborne here.

I have been following your blog for a couple of months.

Well done for all your hard work and training!

Best of luck for the race! :-) I hope it goes really well!