Sunday, October 14, 2007

Running Legs Are Back!

It’s happy times in Kieranland. With whooping two weeks to go to the Auckland Marathon my running is firmly back on track again without the faintest sign of ITB tightness and with the pace and endurance as good as it’s ever been! Needless to say I’m very relieved.

Since my last blog I’ve done two long runs of half marathon distance (actually that’s not quite true, one was a shade over 20k and the other a shade under 20k, but hay, what’s a k and a bit between friends …?). On both runs I had the pace locked in at a smidge above 4 min 30 sec’s per k, that’s a little faster than I’ll be targeting for the marathon but it certainly gives me confidence.

Aside from that the middle of the week’s been reasonably low key. In fact I felt completely shelled Thursday and Friday with one of my workmates commenting on the way I looked on Thursday. But that’s OK, and easy day on Friday, a scheduled day off on Saturday (it was my wife’s birthday, and although it was bright and sunny in the morning I don’t believe swanning off for a 3 hour ride in the morning would have been a good idea – correct me if I’m wrong), and a good part of Sunday watching Kona has seen me right.

I also finally hit the submit button for the Harbour Crossing in November. At 2.8k’s it fits in quite well with the grand plan. Also it’ll be good to do a mass start swim before the Rotorua Half Ironman in December.

The kids made me do some skipping on Saturday. Let me tell you, skipping’s a hard workout. I seem to remember reading somewhere that 10 minutes skipping is a really beneficial thing to do, and something which is pretty easy to fit in to a busy schedule, so I might look doing more of it – after all every little bit helps when time is precious.

So what’s on the agenda for next week?

The main thing is that I’ll start biking into work (as soon as there’s a nice day). I live in Albany now and work in Auckland CBD. I’m not entirely sure on the distance but it should be a fairly good workout as I’ll need to ride into Devonport to catch a ferry across the harbour. Apart from that I’ll also be swapping one swim session for a run session (this week only) before easing off for the week before the marathon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the running is going well Kieran. Thanks for your comments you leave on my blog. It really gives you a bit of a boost when you know others are out there and going through it all too.

Good luck with the Marathon on the weekend. Hope it all goes to plan, and you can tick off another accomplishment.

Raewyn said...

Glad to hear the ITB is behaving and you are having some great run sessions.

What is going on with the Auckland weather of late? Trying to find a nice day to ride to work may be a bit of a mission! But, go for it!

Mike said...

Agree with your comment on my blog about hills being a great workout when you've got limited time. I'm going to give it a week before doing any more hill climbing but hoping to make it a permanent feature.

Saw your pic in the Multisport mag. Not the bestest title for the pic to be under (Fat Bastard) but great all the same ... didn't know about the book idea before - will obviously have to get a copy of that.

Kieran Mischewski said...

Yeah I agree about the title, but you take your fame wherever you can find it.

Time is very much my enemy. Like you I have two kids and a wife to try and not short change, so I do anything to give me the biggest bang for my buck, and that diffinetly includes both riding and running hills. The neighbour kids love it when I go to the park with my kids as they can be guaranteed of a lot of running and chasing etc - hey it's ne more workout ...