Wednesday, September 12, 2007

12th September 2007

I started September with big plans of a fast building schedule that would peak with the Auckland Marathon in October, carry through and reach another peak at the Rotorua Half Ironman in December.

So far the plan hasn’t quite worked out. Last week was a bit disappointing as I lost two days due to work commitments, and this week is going to be a bit light as well because we’re shifting from Whangaparaoa to Albany tomorrow, which will take another couple of days out. Nevermind, its all good, I’ll just be a little more rested than I’d planned.

Monday and Tuesday this week saw me in Wellington learning how to “sell” Trusts (in a strictly ethical, needs based way of course). It was actually quite good as I had a big chat with the facilitator about sport psychology, which is something that I’m quite big on. For instance, despite any doubts I’ll never speak them out loud, and I make a conscious effort to phrase things in a positive way. Eventually you believe your own hype and its amazing what you can do.

I’m also big on visualization. When I was doing a lot of competitive white water kayaking, I would visualise every move that would be needed at each point on the river for any given event. I try to do the same kind of thing now by visualizing specific techniques and the things I need to be doing to get the most efficiency.

Wellington was nice, the weather was great and I managed to get out for a run on Tuesday morning. The sun was just coming up and I couldn’t believe how many people there were going for a jog along the waterfront at 6.30am in the morning. I don’t blame them as it was stunning. I ended up making my way up to Mount Victoria lookout which was well worth the effort. Coming down was a bit of a worry though as my ITB is still not quite right. The run lasted for 1 hour and by the end I could certainly feel the ITB again. So more stretching, more massage and more taking it easy. I really want to get it right in time for Auckland Marathon, as doing that distance again before Ironman forms a linchpin in my training plan. But there’s no point in blowing my leg to pieces, so if it’s not right I’m prepared to either not start or drop out.

The highlight of the week was catching up with the other www.alpegear.com athletes on Saturday. It was so good being able to put an actual person to the photo and blog entries. And hearing what everyone’s up to was very motivating.

Anyway the boxes aren’t going to pack themselves …

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kieran
Good luck with the house move. I love your positive attitude towards this, and might have to come back to that blog when my attitude starts to get negative! Trying to do this while not neglecting kids & partners can make it really hard to cope sometimes, but it's only for a short time & I am really hoping that the benefits afterwards will far outway the hard work that is going on right now.

Kieran Mischewski said...

Thanks Kathy,

The move went well, I even managed to sneak in a 50 minute ride as "somehow" my bike got left behind, luckily I just so happened to have my riding gear with me when we were doing the last bit of tidy up - not contrived at all I promise ...

Yeah there's definitely two challenegers to Ironman - actually doing it, and not neglecting those close to you in the process. SO far so good I hope.